John here, with an update about Goodwill Gaming. I'll put this all in note form, to get it all out!
- We are in the midst of a new website design, should be released in 2013
- In December, we will be having our 5th charity marathon, in support of the St. John's REAL program—which grants children the opportunity to sign up for extracurricular that they normally could not afford.
- The team has grown a lot since our last marathon. We have welcomed four new committee members to the team since then, which makes a total of seven committee members added in 2012 on top of the found board of nine board of directors.
- We we're featured in the 2012 University Edition of Macleans. Pretty awesome!
Help spread the word about the upcoming marathon by inviting all your friends to the Facebook event—‚
Yesterday, our fourth charity marathon ended. Let's focus on that for a second: our FOURTH charity marathon. Goodwill Gaming has done this four times, now. That's fantastic.
This past weekend we raised $3690 for Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador, all the proceeds going towards programs and services for disabled children and youth. This is $2000 for than we've ever raised in a marathon, and is more combined than our first three charity marathons—that's awesome.
Since our first marathon, the team has changed, with only Jeff, Robyn, and myself remaining from the original team. But that's not a bad thing—Goodwill Gaming is growing, and is getting bigger by the day. The current team is ready and motivated to help make a difference.
Goodwill Gaming isn't just about video games, its about the community, goodwill, and gaming—whether it be video games, card games, or even sports. Over the next few months, you'll see us expand into doing bigger things around the community and province.
In the meantime, comes check out our Video Game Carnival on August 4th at MUN's UC, the Landing. Only $5 for a whole day of fun!
Goodwill Gaming just keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I look at it. It's been a few months since I last updated this blog, so I'll go over some things really quickly.
1) We now have an official logo (see above)! We are pretty excited about this design, created by Sarah Butt. She is also the same individual in charge of designing the T-Shirts on our website, so if you'd like to put in a design request, email email@example.com
2) We have official emails! You can still reach us at our general email—firstname.lastname@example.org. But for specific things, we have other emails. If you're interested in finances, or wish to help out with such things, email email@example.com—that's Jill, our treasurer.
For graphics, like mentioned above, Sarah can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn about volunteering, or anything related to human resource, email our new Vice-President Nick at email@example.com
If you want to contact me (John) for media or public relations—or are looking to find out if GWG can do a charity marathon for you—email firstname.lastname@example.org
3) We now have a get involved page. Click that page, and find out how you can become involved with our organization
4) We are in the final stages of planning for our next marathon, in support of Easter Seals NL—a place the supports programs and services for children and youth with disabilities. Its going to be our best marathon yet!
You'll hear more from this blog as we get closer to the July marathon!
Things sure have been busy for Goodwill Gaming. In February, we became an official non-profit organization known as Goodwill Gaming, Inc. We also held a public event, where we raised funds for the organization; funds which will be used to further our cause, like buying new equipments, etc.
We have agreed that our next charity marathon, slated for June or July of this year, all proceeds will be going to Easter Seals NL. It hasn't been determined what games we will be playing yet, but stay tuned.
And in April, we will be at Sci Fi on the Rock. All convention goers can come into our room, learn about our organization, participate in tournament play, or play video games on the casual-play TVs. We will also have tables set up for people to play their handheld games, as well as Gamma World. We'll have more information soon.
We are over halfway through the 80 hour marathon. Everyone is doing great! People have been coming to visit us, and the chat has been lively.
If you already haven't donated and still want to, you can via the chip-in widget on the main page OR in person from 10 - 8 today and tomorrow at Memorial's student centre, room 3013!
We're gearing up for the Christmas charity marathon, which starts this Friday at 12:00 PM (10:30 AM EST). I cannot express how excited I am for this event.
Remember over the course of the marathon, you can view the stream, chat and donate all from this very website.
One new aspect this year is that if you want to drop by in person, from 10 AM - 8 PM each day, you can drop by our location and show your support. We will be operating out of The Loft, room 3013 in Memorial University's Student Centre!
See you all in the chat!
I'm going to keep this entry as short as possible. First off, Goodwill Gaming has applied to become an official society at Memorial University and will be applying for Non-Profit organization status with the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Once each are passed, Goodwill Gaming will be able to grow and blossom, so that we can have more public events for both young and old gamers a-like. And more important, we'll be able to raise more money for different charities.
In the meantime, we are gearing up for our third marathon, all of the proceeds going towards buying books, toys and video games to the Janeway Children's hospital. From Dec 16th at 12:00 PM, and then for 80 hours, we will be playing through a variety of games. During which anyone can watch the stream of the game and players online, as well as participate in chat and donate!
Invite everyone you can to the next event on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=211997255540400
And we're also expecting to be covered by some local media sources, so be sure to keep an eye out for us.
Goodwill Gaming is going through some changes, but they are exciting! We are looking at ways to become more official, and more local. What I can tell you right now is for our next marathon, all proceeds will be going to buying books, toys and video games to the Janeway Children's hospital.
The games list will start to be revealed soon. Tell your friends, and follow us on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/goodwillgaming) and twitter (@goodwill_gaming)
Goodwill Gaming had a great meeting tonight! We have many surprises for you, all. But right now I am happy to at least announce that we will be having our next marathon in December, from the 16th to the 19th! We'll be back with a ton of fun games, entertaining antics and we hope you'll all participate! Like the first two marathons, just come to the home page during the event, and you can watch, chat and donate all from your computer.
Hope to chat with you then!